Sunday, September 21, 2014

Update...

Well it has been about a month since my last post. My last entry was before I started radiation therapy and now here I am done with radiation. And guess what?! My doctor gave me the "You are cancer free" speech. I was not expecting to hear that but I had finished all of my planned treatments and was wondering whats next? Whats next is 6 months of normal living till I have my sixth month scan and hope for the best. I think the cancer part of my life is over! Oh wait no its not, I am still on steroids, I still have short hair, I have grown back three times as much hair as I had before, I am out of shape, and I have scars all over. So no cancer is not over and it cannot be forgotten. On the bright side I can be teen wolf for Halloween since I am so hairy, so thats nice.

Lets go over what happened to me during radiation. First off let me tell you that was a damn hassle. I had to go to radiation during my lunch break for the first week. I spent my whole lunch hour plus a fifteen minute break to go to the hospital to do 5 minutes of radiation. I would either be late to radiation or late back to work. That was extra stress I didn't really need in my life. Luckily my boss was understanding. The rest of the time I had to go to radiation before work which meant I had to get up early. As for the side effects, those kicked in about 2 weeks into radiation. My throat became very sore, too sore to eat food. Eating became painful, and if you know me that was THE WORST. I love food. My skin also turned really red and I got a rash. It was like a really bad sun burn. And as of now the rash has turned brown and weird looking, very attractive. Oh well I embrace my cancer scars and deformities. My cats love me and thats all that matters.

I guess we could talk about the good things in life. My hair looks like I did it on purpose and I get a lot of compliments. I don't know why people are always so surprised with my short hair. Are ladies not supposed to have short hair? Whats wrong with the world. Also I visited California this past week. I went to a family wedding and had a blast. Also, in about a week I will have lived here in Washington for a year. A YEAR!!! I made it. The black hole that is the Antelope Valley has not sucked me back in yet. Yes I say yet because when I visited this last week I did miss it. Everything is so familiar and it has that feeling of being home. But I love Washington as well. I am bound to Washington for at least another year due to my lease so we will see how things go in a year. I have also been dating. Yup the forever alone gal has been on some dates. Its nice to feel normal again. There is hope!!

I wish I had more exciting things to talk about but I am not really in a writing mood. The creative juices are not flowing but when will I have time to write anything so I at least wanted to get an update out there.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! I stumbled across your Instagram, and found the link to your blog. I was recently diagnosed with stage IV Hodgkin's, and my journey back to health is just beginning. I just sat here at work and read your entire blog, and I want to thank you. It was so helpful, and a much more blunt and realistic version of what to expect! Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erin! I am glad it could help, that is the whole reason i started this blog. I didn't want to sugar coat what was happening because cancer doesn't sugar coat anything! If you have any questions or just wanna chat feel free to reach out again! Good luck in your journey and I wish you the best!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete