Friday, February 21, 2014

Death...

Lately I have heard a lot about people dying. Which hurts. And when I found out they died of cancer that strikes a certain cord with me. It makes the notion that I could die seem more real and closer to reality. Whats amazing is that a survivor story can perk my spirits up and turn that all around. But the moment someone dies of Hodgkins Lymphoma it knocks me two feet back. I know I only notice now because I am aware of it but it seems cancer is more common than I thought. Everywhere I look there is cancer. Nothing I haven't said before but man it is getting harder and harder each day to remain positive. Death has always been a big fear of mine and now more than ever I feel like I am staring it in the face. I could die for any reason tonight or tomorrow, not because of the cancer. Thats just horrifying. I want a long a wonderful life just like everyone else. But no matter how much I think I deserve to live and how I will be a great person after all of this and how its not fair to cut my life short, there are people that are in worse condition. People die everyday, accidents or not. Whats the point of it all? What is the point of a child getting cancer and dying? What is the point of an old man getting shot in the face? What is the point of the mother of three getting hit by a drunk driver? None of it makes sense. And here is where all you religious people chime in and say maybe its time I have a talk with god or go to church and it will all make sense. Sorry but no thank you. I don't want to start a religious debate or anything so we will end that part right there. There are a million reasons to be scared of death. And I am either closer than normal to death or the same distance I have always been. Either way that shit is scary as hell and I hope that I don't have a meeting with death at least for a few decades. 



The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.
Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. I have never had cancer so I can hardly say that I know what you are going through but I was an infantryman on two deployments in afghanistan I have stared death in the face quite a few times and had to go into certain situations knowing I might not make it out. I hope that is comparable to you in some way or you find someway to relate to this. As a fellow atheist knowing nothing comes after you die is terrifying. It is for my anyways. The way I felt with it is this. Our time on this earth is unknown and we can go at any moment. But I take comfort it the fact that when I do go whether my life is long or short I have enjoyed my time and I feel i have left an impression on the people in have met. I have never gotten over the fear but merely made amends with my time here and made sure that I lived a full successful life Tommy definition and not anyone else's. Im hoping everything turns out well for you. And hope you can fit your definition of life as well. Oh and fuck cancer.

    ReplyDelete