Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Bone Marrow Biopsy Extravaganza...

Well I had my bone marrow biopsy the other day and let me tell you, YIKES!  I went in thinking it wasn't going to be that bad. I knew it would hurt but my doctor told me its just like going to the dentist, not so bad right? Dentist Schmentist I got this. I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 AM and the procedure was supposed to start at 9:30. First they tried to get some blood and they couldn't find a vein, so I got poked right in the middle of my arm, between my elbow and hand, it was the most random spot. Sure enough my arm wasn't having it and literally pushed the needle back out of my arm. So they called another nurse in and they decided to just put an IV in the normal spot in the bend of my arm. Easy, peasy lemon squeezy. 

Then turns out one of my nurses just finished chemo for breast cancer and decided to share all her wise wisdom with me. Which I guess I understand because she has been through it and wanted to share how she did it but she ended up just making me feel weak and that I couldn't handle having cancer. She is a mom and a nurse and "didn't have the time to be sick." What did that make me? A weak coward that can't work and be normal while having cancer? I just want to handle my cancer the way I want to handle it, Kapeesh? 

Anyways back to the bone marrow biopsy. So they numbed my butt up a lot and gave me meds through my IV that made me feel awesome!! But as he kept going further and further it started to hurt. So they gave me more meds. Towards the end my whole leg started to hurt as if I had pulled a muscle but worse. So they ended the biopsy and as he counted down to pull the needle out of my butt bone I was just waiting for the pain to go away. When he got to 1 and the pain didn't subside I knew something was wrong. They waited a few minutes and gave me more meds and when it still didn't get better they advised me that the doctor most likely nicked a nerve. So what was supposed to be a quick procedure turned into a 9 hour day at the hospital. Because they gave me so many pain meds my BP got really low. Then they tried to flush the meds out of my system but that caused my butt to hurt. They then gave me Vicodin which made me nauseous. Lets just say the bone marrow biopsy was a hot mess. After about 9 hours I was sent home. Two days later and my butt still hurts, not as bad, but still hurts.

Today is Christmas and I am on a high protein diet for my PET scan tomorrow. And then Friday I am having my port surgery. I think I have decided to name her Portia. Cheesy but my friends suggested that and I thought it was funny. 

This has been a rough week and its just getting rougher. Monday I felt horrible with the pain and nausea and just being tired and I realized that's how I will most likely feel for the next six months. It was depressing but I will get through this, I know I can. 















No comments:

Post a Comment